Monday, February 21, 2011

Feb 21 - So how many ball fields does each team need during Spring Training?

Well, this was a big surprise to me.  Phoenix has more ball fields and sports complexes than anywhere I've ever been.  Everywhere you go you see another stadium, outdoor lights etc.  They're in Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, Goodyear and more.

Each team has at least 6-8 different training fields for their team.  One for infielders, one for outfielders, one for pitchers and then the same fields for their AAA team.  And that doesn't count the full-size practice field for when they actually play a game with another team.  It's amazing.  Seems like a huge waste of space to me - a little bit better scheduling should allow them to use at least a few less fields.  Oh well, not my problem.

Today was our first day to go to practice, and probably my last.  John and friend Tony Chavez enjoyed it though, I skipped out quickly and went to Costco.  The boys watched the Cincinnati Reds today, tomorrow they're going to see the San Diego Padres - I'm gonna skip out until they go to an actual game, the drills aren't as exciting to me.

John got the picture he wanted of Dusty Baker, the manager of the Reds so I think that classifies this day as a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment